Today’s post is in response to Jason Konopinski’s “The Things I Love,” but the title is stolen from my friend Leilani Carrasco Smith. She publishes a semi-regular series of posts entitled “My Little Loves,” and she includes things ranging from her mascara to the brush she uses on her cats. Both posts allow Jason’s and Leilani’s readers to get to know them, which is the primary point of the posts. Talking about one’s loves often is more enlightening than talking about what one does.
Personally, I’ve always hated the “What do you do?” question. It tends to separate people rather than to unify them. It defines people by what they do rather than by who they are. Besides, it’s always been hard for me to say what I do because I do many things. I am, as my mother says, eclectic.
When it comes to what I love, I could write at length. I think I will take my cue from Jason, though, and contain the madness. I’ll keep my list at a reasonable number: eleven.
My Little Loves
- Cappuccino. I’m addicted to the stuff. I much prefer it to coffee. It doesn’t have the acidic aftertaste.
- Shoes. I love shoes, especially the tall ones. It’s fun to tower over people for once (My brothers are giants.), and a nice pair of heels can make me feel pretty on the days I’m feeling lower than low.
- Bookstores. I love trolling the bookstores looking for a new treasure. I also love Amazon, but I try to stay away from the place unless I have a specific book to add to my ever-growing wish list.
- Running. Specifically, running in the early morning when the sun is beginning to rise and the temperature is in the low- to mid-sixties.
- Dancing. I love salsa, cha-cha, tango, and swing. I also like breakdancing, but it’s not a dance in which I actively participate. I just watch in amazement.
- Music. I love to discover new musicians and bands, and I’m fortunate to have a couple of friends who share their playlists and new discoveries with me. I also love live music.
- Writing. I wouldn’t be much of a writer or a poet if I didn’t love writing, right?
- Drawing. I love my Write Right girl and Sarah and Sheldon. I draw other things, too, but those three characters have become some of my little loves. I love their stories, even if no one else knows them yet.
- Reading. I love to read, but I especially love to read on gloomy days. Give me an overstuffed chair, a blanket, a cup of cappuccino, and a book, and I’m content for several hours if not the entire day.
- Early mornings. I love early mornings because my brain isn’t yet whirring with all that’s happened during the day. My brain is quiet. It’s making connections and thinking big thoughts.
- Baking. I love to bake cookies and to try new cookie and dessert recipes but only if I’m baking them for other people.
What are your little loves?